Monday, September 5, 2011

The Fruits of our Labors

Today is Labor Day and I've been to several stores already where people are working; my husband has cut the grass and climbed up on the roof to trim tree branches (with a recently replaced knee that was a little scary and I don't think he'll be doing it again); and I've spent a couple of hours in the kitchen cooking with the fruits of someone's garden ... ours, our daughter's and farmers across the United States whose peppers, avocados, onions and other wonderful bounty has now reached Cub Foods in Coon Rapids, Minnesota.  So, yes, it is a day of Labor!  


Right now, two beautiful loaves of zucchini bread sit on my counter, along with a quart of homemade fresh salsa, comfort food made with produce harvested at the end of summer, evidence that summer is almost over.  Not only is it Labor Day, but my thermometer said 47 degrees at 7 a.m. today; yesterday, we golfed wearing light jackets; and for the last two days, the constant thrumming of the air conditioner has been blissfully quiet.  Fresh air coming in the windows allows for the smell of fresh cut grass and fall blooming flowers to come into the house during the day and provides good sleeping at night!  School starts tomorrow ... we will have to remember to watch out for the kids standing in the semi-dark at the bus stops; I saw the first red leaf on our backyard maple tree; and I could smell a wood fire burning when I got the newspaper this morning.  Yup, reminders that summer is ending are all around us.


I love Labor Day and what it heralds ... the beginning of fall.  I DON'T love what comes after fall.  I suppose if I had ever learned to enjoy being all bundled up so that I waddled when I walked, or if I had learned to enjoy having icicles frozen to my eyelashes while I skated on frozen water (actually, I did enjoy and do that as a kid) or if I had learned to go south for the winter, then I might not hate the thought of winter.  


But since I am a true Brr-baby and never learned any of that, I will just be grateful today for the fruits of our labors:  a day of rest, beautiful sunshine and leaves starting to change color, zucchini bread and fresh salsa.  And, no, I don't intend to serve them together.  There are tostita chips for the salsa and good creamery butter for the bread.  And the best part of the day?  I don't have to go to work tomorrow!  Life is good and we are blessed.  


Happy Labor Day to all of you who labor.

No comments: