Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Some Summer Reading

Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer
Those days of soda and pretzels and beer
Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer
You'll wish that summer could always be here.
                                   Nat King Cole, 1963


With a heat index hovering near 110 this week (that's Fahrenheit for our European readers!), those words from an old Nat King Cole song (ask your parents, kids) seem particularly appropriate.  Although, I'm not so sure all of us wish summer would always be here to this extent (exception being my daughter, Michele, and I who absolutely love it hot!).


The heat brings a certain amount of lethargy with it, so outdoor activities are a bit curtailed and people stay indoors and do things they normally might not do on a beautiful summer day ... like read the newspaper!


Over the years, my late father-in-law and I would send each other interesting newspaper clippings from our respective papers (at least we found them interesting).  We believed, and, usually, rightfully so, that the other one would agree.


With his passing in March, I now find myself reading an article and thinking, "Dad would have LOVED this one."  Having no one to share these with, I've decided to share them with you from time to time.


So today, for your summer reading pleasure if you don't want to go outside, here are links to a few articles and opinion pieces that I found especially motivating, fun, inspirational, or just plain good reading in the past few days.


Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.


Ms. Wheelchair Minnesota Seeks Next Crown
Up North Everything Stays the Same, and That's Perfect
Grandparents Have Got Your Back
Kids are Safer When Grandparents are Driving

No comments: