Friday, October 14, 2011

Just Peachy Keen

What says summer better than a peach pie?  Possibly, strawberry shortcake or corn on the cob .. or even watermelon!  Be that as it may, I look forward every summer to the arrival of peaches .. my favorite fruit.  Beginning in July, we start seeing peaches from California, Idaho, Georgia, etc.  But it's almost fall before the king of peaches arrive ... Colorado peaches.  Big, firm and yet juicy!   Perfect for baking or eating fresh.

About 2 weeks ago, a friend of mine delivered half a lug of beautiful Colorado peaches to my house.  I had ordered them as a fund raiser, intending to freeze them, providing us with a quick taste of summer sometime next January or February. But they were so darn good that we started eating them out of hand. Before I knew it, there were only a few left.  I wanted to have something to show for the peaches, so decided to make a peach pie.


Normally, my fruit pies have to be served in a bowl with a spoon. Even I have to admit that fruit pies are not my forte (although I make a darn good pie crust from scratch!). 

Being a modern woman, and following the technology standard these days, I searched the internet for a peach pie recipe.  Who uses cookbooks anymore?  Anyone???  I didn't have to be a genius to know that if I used my regular recipe it would turn out runny (sorry, Betty Crocker).


So, off I went to Recipe Girl, a great place to start ... wonderful recipes and pictures of the finished product (always a benefit).  What did I have to lose (other than my reputation as the soupiest fruit pie maker in town!)?  I wasn't disappointed.

Here is the recipe I used.  Recipe Girl's Peach Pie.  And here is the finished product.



The results?  My husband said it was the best pie I'd ever made ... and ...




wait for it .....








It wasn't soupy!  

Thank you Recipe Girl!  

No comments: